Looking to have a life-changing international family reunion? Or maybe you're just after a well-deserved holiday for all your loved ones. Our incredible world is packed with thrilling tours and destinations perfectly suited to families.
Take a look at these overseas adventures ideal for parents and children alike.
This Asian city-state truly stands out as a hotspot for family experiences. With the entire country contained in a single city and a comprehensive transport network, getting around as a big or small group is easy.
For your first time away as a family, Singapore is a great way to introduce your kids to new cultures without puzzling them. English is an official language of Singapore that's both widely spoken and present on signage throughout the city. Your children will enjoy the comfort of familiar brands like 7-11 and Starbucks, but be enticed to experience new cuisines, with countless low-cost Asian fusion food courts providing huge variety for both the adventurous and more reserved.
There's also a tonne of family-friendly activities in Singapore – more than enough to fill a week-long trip. For example:
- Discover over 300 different species at the Singapore Zoo. Have a quick dinner as the sun sets over the tropical-style pavilions and jump aboard one of the many night-time safari tours to see nocturnal critters at their peak.
- Spectate breathtaking light shows, innovative architecture and beautiful conservatory efforts at Gardens by the Bay. Highlights include the Supertree Grove, Cloud Forest and Flower Dome.
- Hop on a scenic cable car ride to Sentosa Island! This island-wide resort is home to a luge, restaurants, spas, Madame Tussauds wax museum with 4D Marvel movie experience, and the Universal Studios amusement park.
- Take a break from Singapore's tropical humidity at Snow City, Singapore's first permanent indoor snow centre. Enjoy snow tubing, skiing or boarding while the kids build igloos and snowmen.
- Learn what true luxury is all about aboard a high-class cruise around South East Asia operated by Dream Cruises.
2. Queenstown, New Zealand
You don't have to go far for an adventure. One undeniable benefit of a holiday to New Zealand is the convenient travel times, removing some of the stress of flying for families with young kids. Don't let the mild flight make you think you won't be challenged on a trip to Queenstown, however.
This lakeside city is the adventure capital of New Zealand, packed with exhilarating activities in the air, water and on the ground. Fit families can spend time together racing on the luge or skiing down Coronet Peak. The Shotover Jet will get your blood pumping with a high-speed ride down dramatic, narrow canyons, or you'll gain a new perspective when tandem paragliding over Lake Wakatipu.
Queenstown isn't only suited to adrenaline junkies, however. There are heaps of exciting cultural, culinary and natural wonders to be experienced:
- Drive out to nearby wineries to experience New Zealand's most acclaimed wine region first-hand. The Queenstown Wine Trail will introduce you to famous producers such as Akarua, Peregrine and Mt Difficulty.
- Feel humbled and astounded with a helicopter tour to Milford Sound. With forest-clad cliffs, towering mountain peaks and vibrant, crystalline waters, this reserve is the physical embodiment of New Zealand's "100% Pure" slogan.
- Take the Skyline gondola up to the top of Bob's Peak for a bird's-eye view of the city and lake. Witness a Maori haka performance in the intimate mountaintop theatre, and follow that with dinner at Stratosfare Restaurant and stargazing.
- Experience the intersection of nature and wellness at the Onsen Hot Pools. This Japanese-inspired spa lest you enjoy a private spring-fed hot pool, enclosed with beautiful cedar cladding and overlooking panoramic river views.
- Splash some cash at any of New Zealand's iconic high-end fashion boutiques such as WORLD Factory of Ideas and Experiments.
3. Havana, Cuba
If your family is all grown up, the difficult travel to Cuba will be well worthwhile. That said, if your kids are well-travelled, the multi-connection flight shouldn't stop you from letting them enjoy this timeless city.
Like something straight out of a movie, Havana is known for being wonderfully old-fashioned and hosting eclectic architecture, hip-swinging live music and historic forts. Despite two independence wars, a revolution and a US trade embargo, the survivalist spirit of the Cuban people can be described in salsa energy, emphatic conversations and the prevalence of honest platonic touch.
A trip to Havana offers plenty to parents and children. Kids are widely adored and welcomed by locals and with forts, squares and Cuba's largest amusement park, there's heaps to experience:
- History lovers can't go past the Museo de la Revolución. The museum showcases the events leading up to and immediately following the Cuban revolution in chronological order, descending from the top floor.
- Dine any way you please, making the most of the four different areas of La Fontana, Cuba's most famous restaurant. Choose between a bustling rooftop terrace engulfed in greenery, an intimate Cuban family home table setting, modern minimalist seating or an extravagant poolside bar seat.
- Immerse yourself in Latin culture at Gran Teatro de La Habana, the stage for the Cuban National Ballet Company.
- Lose yourself in the fun at Isla del Coco, Havana's own amusement park featuring a roller coaster, swinging ship, bumper cars and more. This theme park is not just for children!
- Let the kids run amok at Castillo de la Real Fuerza. This fort, built in the 1500s, is ringed with a moat and lookouts, inviting your children's imaginations to go wild as they explore.
Feeling inspired for your next holiday? Don't leave the children at home – book a family vacation with Active Travel today.