We love to drive and all the freedom that comes with having a car whilst on holiday. Who wouldn’t? Go where you want, when you want and detour if you so desire. A quick survey in the office chose this top 5 and because I’m writing it I am putting my choice as number 1!
5) Scotland Check out the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August for the best comedy the world has to offer then head north through the pine forests of Perthshire. Then it is on to the granite city of Aberdeen, Inverness, Loch Ness (possibly stopping for a selfie with the monster) then climb Ben Nevis and rest the night in Fort William. Experience the hustle and bustle of Glasgow before riding the Falkirk Wheel and back to Edinburgh for the Royal Military Tattoo.
4) New Zealand Enjoy some of the world greatest food and drink in the Marlborough Region, then continue to explore the mighty glaciers, geysers and fjords before arriving in the adventure capital of the world, Queenstown. Take in a Haka show and a scenic train ride and this is just the South Island! Then you can get the ferry across to the North Island, to the capital Wellington, in search of a hobbit or two then on to the beautiful “city of sails” – Auckland, the thermals hot springs in Rotorua and a thriving art scene in Napier!
3) Iceland Hire a 4WD in Reykjavik before tackling the massive ring road that follows the coast of Iceland. From the main path feel free to stray off to hidden delights and charming local villages but beware of the Huldofolk that roam the land! Geysers, live volcanoes, northern lights, blue lagoons or maybe even a whale watching opportunity can all be experienced if your timing is spot on. If not then there are still the stunning ice caves and tremendous ever-evolving scenery.
2) Ireland Visit the Titanic Museum in Belfast then travel back in time to experience the history of The Troubles. Cross a ropey bridge if you dare then step to it on The Giants Causeway! Take a sip of whiskey at the oldest distillery in the world before hot-footing it to the walled city of Londonderry. There is so much to see through here – there is beautiful Donegal, stay in a mental asylum in Sligo, check out the hookers in Galway, take a scenic drive around the ring of Kerry, examine the crystal from Waterford and then find the best Guiness in the world somewhere in the magnificence of Dublin.
1) USA San Francisco – Lake Tahoe -Monterey – Yosemite – LA – San Diego – Vegas! Red convertible Mustang! Awesome!