There’s no denying that winter is here! Warm up with a bowl of hearty and delicious Himalaya Khukura, or Nepali chicken curry.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4-6 people
- 1kg chicken, chopped into cubes or slices
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely diced
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely grated
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 4 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- chopped coriander, to garnish
1. Heat oil in a large pan. When it’s hot, add the cumin seeds and fry for 15-20 seconds. Add the onions and fry until light pink and soft.
2. Add the chicken and salt to taste. Fry until the chicken is light brown.
3. Add ginger, garlic, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and the bay leaf. Stir fry for three minutes.
4. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix well with the chicken and cook for three to five minutes.
5. Add tomatoes. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for ten minutes. You don’t need to add extra water at this stage, as the chicken and tomatoes will add liquid.
6. If you like a thin gravy, add a little water after 10 minutes and simmer for another five minutes.
7. Serve hot with steamed rice and a fresh coriander garnish!
Want someone else to do the dishes? Make a booking at The Hungry Buddha and enjoy authentic Himalaya Khukura in-house!